Saturday, April 14, 2007

The Circle of Synthetic Stuff

I remember back in junior high (circa 1989) when the green recycle bins first showed up on my family's front step in our lovely suburbia bubble of El Toro, Ca. My friend and I were thrilled at the clean new wheeled toy we could play with. We carted eachother around the block playing ding dong ditch and scaring our neighbors by popping up out of the bin like a jack in the box when someone answered the door.
Despite our initial misuse of the bins, I think most of the neighborhood took to them well, including my mom, who quickly designated an extra area for paper and bottles in the pantry. What a wonderful idea to get people participating. Why aren't these bins everywhere? My boyfriend lives in Sherman Oaks at an apartment complex where there is no recycling bin in sight. Why aren't the managers forced to get one? Is there somewhere I can report them? I'll get back to you on that one after a little research.
I made a little visit to my local private recycling center, Alpha Recycling, and had a few words with the manager Paul. After speaking with him about the business of recycling I wonder why it's so difficult to get everyone to recycle. Many people drop off their valuable recyclable goods that Paul pays cash for. He then bundles it up and sells it off to other companies for processing. He had bundles of everything from cans, to bottles, to plastic, paper, and cardboard. Everything except batteries and metal. He told me he has no problem getting rid of anything. The bundles get shipped off to other areas of California and even overseas to Taiwan. So if recycling is profitable, what is the public system doing? There should be bins everywhere in every city, not just at houses.

No comments: